A blog of personal style, wonderful surprises, and chance encounters to encourage and inspire.

Monday, June 14, 2010

It tastes like summer!

Well, it is summer here in Alabama.  I guess technically, it's not summer yet, but it sure does feel like it.  So, what do you do when it's too hot to move?  Eat something deliciously cool!


Doesn't it look delicious!!  I love to cook; I do not hesitate to admit, however, that I am not very experienced in the cooking world, so anytime I prepare something, I absolutely MUST have a recipe.  I am not one of those types who can just walk into the kitchen and whip up something wonderful.  I need specific, clear cut instructions on exactly what to buy, exactly how much to use, and exactly how long it should be cooked.  I've tried cooking out of several cookbooks, and the story is always the same - I spend an arm and a leg at the grocery, four hours in the kitchen, and by the end of the day I am broke, exhausted, and too tired to eat anything.  So, when I found e-mealz, I was ecstatic.  

E-mealz is like an online grocery list/cookbook/lifesaver.  And girls, if you are newly married and don't want to admit you don't really know how to do the homecooked thing - this is the ticket!  Basically, you sign up for a membership, and each week you are given a menu with five different recipes, a grocery list with the ingredients that you will need, organized by grocery store section.  The items on the list reference what meal they are going to be used in, so if you have picky eaters or food allergies, you can see how the item will be used and make a substitution (or skip the meal all together).  You membership allows you to choose what type of meal plan you would like, and from what store you will be shopping.  They have a variety of diet choices (weight watchers, low-carb, low-fat, vegetarian, etc.), and you can even choose the size of the meal plan according to how many people you are feeding each night.  Have I sold you yet?  This membership costs $5 dollars per month, and it is more than worth it!  I actually feel like an organized little wife with this plan, and my husband loves the meals.  I'm telling you, you should try it! 

Okay, back to the recipe.  It is an absolutely delicious, refreshing fruit salad, that takes about 10 seconds to make, and is a wonderful E-mealz creation.


I used Pineapple, grapes, and vanilla yogurt this time, but you could really use any fruit (and any flavored yogurt for that matter) that you prefer/is in season.  My husband loved this recipe so much that we went back to the store and bought all kinds of crazy fruits to try...I'll let you know how it turns out. 

Cut up your pineapple and your grapes and put in a large bowl.  I added about 2 cups of each.  I cut the grapes in half, just because the recipe said to, but I don't really think that is  necessary.  

Note: I know that is a really big knife to be cutting grapes, but I was already using it to cut the pineapple, so I didn't want to dirty another one (no, we don't have a dishwasher).  Also, I use this knife all the time, so I've become quite handy with it.  It is quite the preference when it comes to knives.

Note 2: My original plan was to show you a picture of the pineapple being cut as well.  However, I decided to follow the directions on the tag of this silly pineapple, and it turned out disastrous.  I told the chef at work about it, and he said to talk to him next time I needed help with a pineapple. We'll see if we can get a little lesson post going.  In the mean time, I suggest looking online for instructions (which is what I did the first time) and the end result was MUCH better!

Mix the fruit and one container of yogurt until the fruit is well covered.  Again, I chose vanilla yogurt, but I'm sure whatever you prefer would be fine as well.

Dish out and ENJOY!  This fruit salad is so delicious and refreshing, and actually really healthy!  I made this twice on Saturday it was so good.  That chicken mess on the other side of the plate is actually the other recipe I was going to share.  The only thing was, I thought it tasted horrible, so I didn't want to post it.  

I hope you enjoy this delicious summer concoction.  I'm sure you will find many wonderful variations and to suit you pallet.  In the mean time, I've got some fruit salad to be eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment